holiday pet safety in chandler, az

Holiday Pet Safety in Chandler, AZ

Our pets love nothing more than sticking their noses into everything that captures their curiosity, and when the holidays roll around, all bets are off. Wreaths, nutcrackers, pine boughs, twinkling lights and much, much more are now taking up their time-honored positions in your home, and your pet’s senses are likely in overdrive. To investigate, they sniff, and sniff, and sniff, but in some cases, they may also attempt to eat any objects that draw their attention and delight their noses.

To ensure that your pet has the safest holiday possible, see below for a list of essential holiday pet safety tips. Our veterinarian cares about your pet’s health as much as you do, and we are more than happy to offer guidance when you need it. Call us today at (480) 339-0406.

Request an Appointment

Common Holiday Hazards

Believe it or not, you can still spruce up your home in holiday splendor without putting your pet’s health at risk. The key is to plan ahead and anticipate potential scenarios that may result due to your pet’s ingrained habits and behaviors.

Decorations – The following decorations and wrappings can cause serious health problems for your pet, including choking, bowel obstruction, and internal injury.

  • Tinsel, ribbon, string
  • Glass ornaments
  • Loose bulbs from light strands
  • Pine boughs/pine needles
  • Candles and open flames
  • Small figurines and other objects that can be easily swallowed

Plants – These plants can make your pet sick if ingested.

  • Holly
  • Mistletoe (can be fatal)
  • Jerusalem cherry
  • Poinsettias*

*Poinsettias can cause mild stomach upset but are not especially poisonous.

Foods – The following foods can cause choking, an obstructed bowel, internal injury and/or serious illness if consumed.

  • Chocolate (the darker the chocolate, the more toxic)
  • Raisins, grapes, and currants
  • Onions, garlic, chives, shallots, scallions, and leeks
  • Corn cobs
  • Macadamia nuts, pistachios, pecans, and walnuts
  • Meat bones of any kind
  • Xylitol, an artificial sweetener found in sugar-free gum, mints, and other candies and sweets
  • Anything containing caffeine and alcohol (this includes rum-soaked cakes)
  • Nutmeg
  • Butter, grease from meat, yeast in unbaked dough

The Tree ­– If you plan to set up a tree in your home, make sure it is securely anchored into its tree stand. Keep any garlands, tinsels, glass ornaments, and lights positioned away from the lower branches and out of your pet’s reach. Some cats like to use Christmas trees for climbing; this should be prevented whenever possible. Pine can be toxic for cats, but they could also get tangled in the lights or knock the tree over by mistake. Keep electrical cords covered or out of sight, and use tripled-pronged plugs for additional safety.

We encourage you to call us at (480) 339-0406 if you have any concerns about something your pet has eaten, or what they might get into.

a gray kitten reaching for a christmas ornament