Spay and Neuter in Chandler, AZ
Spaying or neutering your pet can help them live a healthier, more relaxed life. Both cats and dogs can experience several medical and behavioral benefits from spay and neuter surgery. Cats often have frequent and disruptive heat cycles. We determine the best time to spay or neuter dogs on a case-by-case basis, because individualized care is our priority. At the Animal Medical Center of Chandler, we’re passionate about caring for animals in the Phoenix and East Valley areas and this includes quality pet spay and neuter services. Call us today at (480) 339-0406.
Spay and Neuter Benefits
Spay and neuter procedures help dogs and cats live a better life, reducing their chances for developing worrisome behavioral and medical issues. These benefits include:
- Spayed females are less at risk for ovarian and uterine cancer
- The risk of breast tumors is also reduced in females, which are deadly in 90% of cats and 50% of dogs
- Neutered males are less at risk for prostate problems
- Neutered males have no chance of developing testicular cancer
- Roaming behavior can be curtailed in male and female pets
- Disruptive behaviors like urine spraying and marking are reduced or prevented entirely
When Your Pet Should be Spayed or Neutered
We encourage you to talk to us about when to spay or neuter your four-legged family member. It can be in your dog’s best interest to wait until after they reach reproductive maturity. This protects them from developing unnecessary musculoskeletal conditions, aggressive behavior changes, and urogenital issues. Larger dog breeds should ideally be spayed or neutered between 12 to 24 months old. Smaller breeds can be spayed or neutered between 6 to 9 months of age, but this can be delayed if you’re comfortable with your pet going through a heat cycle. Cats can be spayed and neutered as young as eight weeks old. Whether you have a large breed dog, small breed dog, or a cat, we determine the best time for spay or neuter by weighing the pros and cons for your pet. Contact us at (480) 339-0406 with any questions.