A Cat Friendly Practice
If you’re a cat owner, you already know how unique the behavior of felines is when compared to that of dogs. Many cats have a natural disposition to become stressed when they are removed from the comfort of their homes, when they’re confined to a carrier, or when they’re around other animals. As a result, many cat owners opt to skip their cats’ veterinary appointments, leaving their feline companions without the level of health care they need on an annual basis. Ideally, cats of all ages should receive a comprehensive wellness exam by a veterinarian at least once a year.
Since we first opened our doors, Animal Medical Center of Chandler has aimed to make cats’ visits to our practice as comfortable as possible and to lower the number of skipped veterinary appointments. That’s why we sought certification as a Cat Friendly Practice® (CFP) with the American Association of Feline Practitioners (AAFP).
What Is a Cat Friendly Practice?
The CFP program was created by expert feline practitioners to help alleviate stress levels for cats during their time in veterinary facilities. Veterinary hospitals are designated as Cat Friendly Practices® if they:
- Demonstrate their understanding of the unique needs of cats
- Apply feline-friendly standards
- Provide a more calming environment for cats
- Place each cat in a separate room upon his/her arrival to prevent outside noise stimulation from other dogs and cats
- Use feline facial pheromones to create a calming effect
- Develop a customized treatment plan, based on each cat’s specific needs and behavior
- Are specifically trained to handle cats and identify early signs of fear and anxiety as well as other behavior cues
- Use a gentle, slow approach with cats
- Stay current on the latest information related to feline research and guidelines
When you choose a Cat Friendly Practice® like Animal Medical Center of Chandler, your feline friend can have a more peaceful veterinary visit, which can reduce stress for you as well. You can learn more about Cat Friendly Practices®, including testimonials from other cat owners, by going to catvets.com. You can also contact us at 480-339-0406 if you have any questions.